Learning To Relax, Part 2

BD Ford

Someone replied to one of my other posts that I am 'learning to relax' through slot cars. They got that right!

I finally got the track off the floor, onto a table today as part 2 of my self imposed therapy through slot cars

Thr trick this time was to be sure and get something running - start small but at least finish it! Most other hobbies I spend too much time thinking/planning/dreaming but not doing anything, then end up selling off the stuff on ebay. THIS time... I was going to start what I finish!

Heres the plan:

dogtrot.jpg

this was laid out on the floor to test fit, layout and running potential. Hence the name, Dogtrot raceway, as the two mutts I share the house with took umbrage at this intrusion into their domain.

dogtrot1.jpg

Next step was to get it off the floor, and onto a table. This was done today and by the lowering of the sun over the scenic Blue Mountains, we had track on table and cars running as I sat on my comfy sofa and chilled out, suffused with an inner glow of peace at having done something constructive today.

dogtrot2.jpg

And there we have it - therapy in a can...well, on a 4x6' sheet of MDF actually.

Next step is scenery! Yes, I've done a lot of model railroad scenery over the years so this MUST be scenicked, as well as fitted into the room better. Oh and elevations too... I want the track to go uphill and down more than just round and round, probably not a huge elevation change, but enough for visual interest. Borders are on order from Armchair racer for the tight corners, have to install the others that I already have too. Had to shorten the track half a straight from the floor model to fit the table and have room for them.

There it is - its not much, its not large, but its mine all mine. Well me and the dogs, they can just see over the edge but prefer the view from the sofa. Oh and the missus too, who is totally supportive of the whole thing, and drives a pretty mean slot car herself (hand to eye co-ordination like a viper... although vipers don't have hands, of course)

I'm going to go run some laps now, and smile like an idiot to myself the whole time.

cheers

BD

Good on you for aiming to finish....I'm aiming to get started!

I've got ideas for track 3 rolling around my head but...............

ps I have an aversion to those crossover thingies on your track and suggest you replace them with a regular section.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Good on you for aiming to finish....I'm aiming to get started!

I've got ideas for track 3 rolling around my head but...............

ps I have an aversion to those crossover thingies on your track and suggest you replace them with a regular section.

you might do as I have done - make something at least to play with while working on the "masterpiece". I have found that running slot cars, even on the floor is much more fun than NOT running slot cars

I have some reservations about the crossovers myself, like the dead spots in the middle/ They do even out the lane lengths nicely, that might be a big factor on such a small track, but I have ordinary curves I can use if they give me the yeeps over time

BD

Hmmmmmm................one acoustic visible and two empty guitar stands and you need slot cars to relax :D ? I must admit there is something nice about playing with slots...........my problem is the music and studio take top priority :P .

;)

my music is more "serious" fun than slot cars which are, as it turns out, "fun" fun. I have since moved the other guitars back into the room. Some nights after work, I'm too tired, or wired, to play guitar but I can sit and watch the wee cars go around quite easily.

BD

and now for something more elevating...

dogtrot4.jpg

work continues apace on the dogtrot raceway. Elevations have been added, using foam card risers and shaped walls. Ive run the cars around and its fine, no snags and jags, so for now...its onto scenery!

I am thinking something along the lines of the Targa Florio style as done by the Archer raceway group

Archer raceway Targa Florio

as I have always loved that around the hills and trough the towns sort of thing. After all my "serious" (magnet free) cars are all classic GT coupes... Ferrari GTO 250, Daytona Cobra and E-Type Jag. Want more classic era GT and sports prototypes...

Breaking out the foam card and styro blocks, doodlebug goes scenery mad!

More in the next installment

cheers

BD