HBMRC - Hawkes Bay, NZ

If anyone want to ride share, and is going early, I want to get away from Taradale by 5, use my petrol !

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

The Mini Bangers 3 Hour race has been run and won. 14 of Hawkes Bay's handsomest slot car racers, and Snake, duked it out over 4 lanes with 4 of the ugliest 1/32 cars that have even been run on a slot car track. With only Wongy missing, it was a great turn out and racing was close and fast - with only 3 laps separating the winners from Team Pukehu.

Congrats to Team Taradise on a well deserved victory. Winners are clearly grinners!

IMG_1804_zps0alrohar.jpg

IMG_1805_zpswssbh0my.jpg

IMG_1806_zpsh7zqjskv.jpg

IMG_1809_zps7fthxtha.jpg

IMG_1811_zpsvxps5uj1.jpg

IMG_1813_zpsfa34fgn5.jpg

IMG_1815_zpsr1pa14ie.jpg

IMG_1816_zpsfvwdw4yi.jpg

IMG_1818_zpsgyap6upg.jpg

IMG_1819_zpsybxhe4j1.jpg

IMG_1820_zpsigpakdii.jpg

IMG_1821_zpsybqqlq7z.jpg

IMG_1822_zpsrfdlxmni.jpg

Edited by slotmadmac

Podiums are for short people.

Great night Mac, and thanks for making time to build the bangers.

Club is in rude health when we have to move to 4 man teams eh !

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Awesome night on Thunder Road and having a laugh or three with the gang. Cool little cars!

Great driving too from everyone and I thought Pukehu was going to get up at the end, but Munter has nerves of steel...

Congrats to team Taradise & big thanks Mac & Pip for another great event

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Average? I retract my previous comment.

And Rodsun you had better check with your team mates......

JK

1 x Porsche 997 Constructors Cup Co-Champion

1 x Fly Classic Enduro 2013 Co-Champion

1 x F1 Classic Shootout 2016 Co-Champion

1 x Harmon Memorial Cup 2016 Co-Champion

2 x PieBone 400 Co-Champion

As you know, I love working up the old Scalex clunkers, but have never attempted anything with the chassis-less cars Scalextric made in the 80s-90s. In these cars the motor / axles / guides clip into the underside of the body. There is no chassis at all. My assumption was that, because there would be no body rock, the cars would handle poorly and be a real handful in the corners. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I decided to have a go with an old Brabham. All the parts are stock aport from the guide and NSR tyres. This was such a simple build; the bulk of it took well under an hour. The lead on the underside of the car is thin flashing lead. I simply epoxied this to the underside of the car. If you look closely you can see it on this side profile pix.

IMG_1835_zpspxtpmr3b.jpg

Front axle is tubed and I took the liberty of making the rear track as wide as possible.

IMG_1836_zpstt6fzskh.jpg

After glueing the lead on I trimmed it with a scalpel and then sanded it for a nice finish.

IMG_1837_zpssfjnu2fz.jpg

On the track this car handles really well - fast in the corners and very easy to drive. I must have run 50+ laps with only one de-slot and a best time of 7.1s. Given that I threw this together and the tyres are untreated, I know there is a sub 7s time in this car.

Anyway, long story but I have 4 similar cars in stock. I'll hand 3 out to the usual suspects with the parts needed to work them up and we can race them in the New Year. I think you'll be impressed.

Edited by slotmadmac

Podiums are for short people.