Track Design Software

Jacob

The question of track design software was coming up every so often on the forum, so I thought it'd be an idea for there to be a topic with links to the different pieces of software. This is not complete as I know there are other designers out there, so if you know of any that aren't already here, reply to the topic and I'll look into adding them. Of course there is also the good old fashioned pencil and paper, which would be your best bet if you're looking for a rough design for your routed track!

SlotTD

Cost: Free

Link: Here

Overview

Couldn't find any information or an official website for the program; however it is a simple track designing tool catering for Ninco and SCX track. The software is from 2001, so don't expect any modern digital support, but it is a more than adequate tool for designing your plastic slot track on the computer. It is also 100% free, so you can't really criticise the program. The best way to find out if this program is for you is to just download it and try it. You don't need to install it so it's just a quick download away.

Features

• 2, 4, 6 and 8 Lane support
  • SCX and Ninco track pieces
  • Piece counter, stock controller
  • Equilibrate tracks with crossovers automatically

Screenshot

slottd.jpg

SlotMan

Cost: Free

Overview

SlotMan is a software for the administration of slotcar tracks. Track layouts may be created and edited, information about cars and drivers can be input. You can run races and analyse the results and timed laps. All functions are optional. That means that timing is available without creating track layouts or inputting other information first.

Features

SlotMan is more than just a track editor, but the following will only talk about this aspect of the program.

• Up to three track systems (or brands) can be used simultanously to e.g. combine Ninco, Scalextric and SCX track sections.
  • Rotating and mirroring the layout
  • Overlay of grid lines
  • Automatic calculation for balancing lane lengths (using changeover sections)
  • Automatic calculation of additional power terminal placement
  • Optimizing space available
  • Automatic suggestion of track border section placement
  • The construction of 8 lane layouts is supported. The sections containing lanes 3 - 8 are added automatically.

Screenshot

slotman.jpg

Source: http://www.slotcarmanager.de/en/all_frames_e.html

TrackPower

Cost: 14,95 €

Overview

The track layout designer TrackPower allows to explore all the possibilities of SCX Digital System, Scalextric Sport & Sport Digital and Carrera Evolution/Pro-X, giving to the user a complete freedom to place track sections, borders and accesories. Access lanes, pit lanes, branches...everything is possible with TrackPower.

All the graphic elements can be inserted, selected, deleted, rotated, and dragged with the simple use of the mouse. All these elements have "magnetic" connectors for doing easy the union operations.

TrackPower has diverse auxiliary functions to calculate lane lengths, control the stock, calculate dimensions, control the view, delimit the workspace and boundaries, etc.

Features

• For SCX Digital System, Scalextric Sport & Scalextric Sport Digital and Carrera Evolution/Pro-X.
  • Updatable database.
  • Edition of track sections, borders and barriers.
  • Permanent information about total and partial occupied areas. Lane lengths.
  • British and International length units.
  • Stock control, which indicates total, used and free sections, barriers and accesories. Stock control floater window.
  • Send to back & bring to front functions.
  • Cut, copy & paste functions.
  • Tools for drawing text, lines, arrows and frames in order to delimit areas, rooms, boards, etc.
  • Customizables grid and background.
  • Three zoom tools..
  • Exportable track visible image in *.bmp format.
  • Multilevel undo & redo functions.
  • Printing of section lists and circuit images.
  • Multidocument interface

Screenshot

tpss.gif

Source: http://www.trackpower.net/english.htm#Catalogue

Thanks Jacob,I like the TD program even thought I am building a routed track. I did the first layouts with it and then changed the corners when I transfered the design to the layout.

Phil

I use Slotman a bit, and I just added a new track system to it called "Wood" I tailor made a series of 6 fixed radius turns from 420mm upwards, and lots of straights lengths from 25mm to 400mm all in two lane, with 100mm lane widths to make it a bit easier to design routed layouts. (within the bogey of fixed radius at least) It's also pretty easy to design chicanes in that software.

If anyone wants just the "track system" file to save designing their own, just pm me.

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Does anyone know of an track editor that'll work with a mac?

Don't all Macs come with a PC emulator these days ?

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

HAH! Don't you love it when someone preempts your question?

I lost my drawing thing when the old computer died and was about to ask if anyone had anything funky and free I could load..

great timing Jacob!

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
can anyone help me with track design software for ninco ?can't seem to find one that works

thanks in advance

graeme

SlotMan has a ninco library andworks fine, I've designed a bunch of tracks on it.

http://www.slotcarmanager.de/en/all_frames_e.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

G'Day gents

I followed up the advice in this thread and downloaded the railmodeller trial for the MAC. After a bit of swearing I finally managed to work out the program enough to knock up a good looking little track using Sport track. Unfortunately I can't work out how to join the last two pieces together to complete the track off. The program keeps saying that I can't join the same element to itself? Anyone got any tips?

I found railmodeller not the most intuitive program to use. Simple things like moving the track into different positions were extremely frustrating at first. What's wrong with click and drag function you software people you!!!!

Anywho, there is another program out there called trackdesigner 1.3.1 has anyone had a crack at that program? I looked for reviews but there doesn't seem to be any on the net.

I want to be confident that I'm going to get a quality program if I'm going to fork out around thirty bucks for a simple "unrestricted" track designer program.

Hi Ozquad,

I also am a Mac user and faced the same problems of easily useable software. I ended up getting a one month demo of a program that let's you run Windows on a Mac (...wasn't Parallels, but like that), and then used Ultimate Racer to design the track. I found it a very useful program, with good support. This is a free program, just Google it - also known as UR30). Or just get an old PC to do your track design, then use it for your lap timing as well (also using UR30).

Cheers,

Count

mt1135840120-1.jpg

Ask not what MDF can do to you, rather ask what you can do to MDF!

• 2 weeks later...