Sorell Creek Track

Malomay

1st  layout post – Sorell Creek track

G'day, anyone who keeps track of the Slotforum International might get a double up on this, but I thought I'd share with the local forum as well, as I think its very worthwhile keeping it going.  So, i guess the best way to do this is to keep posting as much as possible !

Anyway, I have been thinking for some time that I should get cracking on a track layout of my own at home for myself & my 3 boys to enjoy before we all get too much older.

Track layout will be nothing special (Scaley Sport), in fact I’m sure I have seen very similar layouts on here already.  It needed to fulfill some pretty basic requirements though.  I wanted a decent length straight, I wanted elevation & there needed to be a bridge/crossover and enough corners to make it interesting, but not undrivable for my boys (ages 8-12…….although my 12 year old could well be a better driver than me already !)

It will also have to take a couple of custom bits of scenery that I will attempt to make myself and are taken from a specific track that has a very dear place in my heart.  Some of the older Aussie members may recognise them.  These pieces of scenery will focus the scenic look & feel of the track as well as the era, although the rest of the scenery will be pretty basic & easy enough for my very basic & pretty average modelling skill! Anyway, I have been worrying about showing this off on this forum given the skill of others, but I guess if everyone was hesitant there would be no new contributions.  Having others see my progress as well, will hopefully keep me on track & keep me working.  SO…onto the start….

Mal.

• Like 1

The first custom piece of scenery was the bridge (or viaduct to be historically accurate !).  Based on a certain feature on a classic road track of the 1960s

Home-Track-Viaduct2.jpg

basic MDF construction, then managed to get hold of some textured brick sheets on-line to add a little depth to the finish..

Home-Track-Viaduct5.jpg

• Like 1

The second historic feature was another classic piece of scenery from the aforementioned 1960s track.......(apologies in advance for my very rudimentary building construction skill).  I took the easiest approach to this so that I could get something like an OK rsult, with not much chance of me stuffing it up !.  Designed exterior using Publisher actually, and printed out on colour laser. Building construction was using corflute (which was OK to work with, although a bit of a bugger to cut across the "grain" !)

Country-Club-construction2.jpg

Country-Club-construction.jpg

• Like 1

Working on the roof quickly showed up my lack of competence......the angles of the joins were very challenging.

Pub-roofing-complete.jpg

At least the craft paper option gave a reasonably good corrugated iron look.

Finally, the trim & base.......with an appropriate car in the foreground.

IMG-7963-small.jpg

• Like 1

Stated work on the actual table to house this in the shed last week. Actually the hardest part of this project so far was getting the shed cleared out to find enough space to even allow this. It's still not "clear"........as everyone knows sheds are magnets for anything that is not wanted elsewhere !

table.jpg

Did a mock up of the baseboard elevations & I couldn't resist the temptation to place the two scenic items on track to see how they might fit in so far:

basic-viaduct.jpg

pub-corner-base.jpg

That's all for now everyone....more work & picts to follow.

• Like 1

Nice start, lovely building and viaduct, look forward to watching the progress.

1 hour ago, knoath said:

Looking great so far! Really nice work on the Pub, how do you print that facade?

Cheers mate,

Designed it on Microsoft Publisher.  i used an actual white brick background picture then snipped the windows & doors from other photos I found on the web & pasted these in.  The writing & other details were all just created in the publisher drawing tools.  Printed out the sheets on a laser & stuck em on the corflute !

• Like 1

Sheesh mate. First up - thanks for sharing - and a reminder. You're an 'ocker, this is your home forum, don't forget us ..... :) 
So unusual for someone to get some big scenery items actually done before building the track - safer too. You know what happens once any lane is live.........

Really like the work you are doing, that bridge looks a million bucks, and very clever what you've done with the pub. Is the beer cold ?

Great inspiration for other budding track builders. Keep it coming.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 1 month later...

Hokey, well, it's been a few weeks since my initial few posts, so I thought an update would be in order.  First order of business thought is to put a disclaimer on the update.  My first & immediate task was to get a half decent landscaped track up & running for some playtime at christmas.  So keeping this in mind the landscaping you are about to see is of the "quick & dirty" kind !  A few cheats in there as well as using some buildings I already had on hand combined with a couple of simple new builds.  The longer term landscaping & building theme will (hopefully) be more in keeping with the era !

So, be kind !

some basic grass mat formed the base for most of the inside of the circuit, as well as the "paddock" with a few vendor stalls.

IMG-8092.jpg

IMG-8093.jpg

In the paddock, a vintage car show will hopefully attract some spectators as well as the food & merchandise stands.  The Kiosk  stand was made by my son who thought that it was an important missing item.  He did a good job for a first attempt I think:

IMG-8104.jpg

IMG-8163.jpg

IMG-8164.jpg

IMG-8172.jpg

IMG-8175.jpg

• Like 1

"Quick and Dirty" is the kind of scenery I believe in.  I believe in it deeply and truly.  

Thanks for sharing. Hope the fam enjoyed.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Very nice, been saying that I need to finish my track for a while now, only 9 - 10 years, lol.

Love the bridge/viaduct with the printed brickwork, looks great.

Really need to do something similar for my track, instead of the foam blocks that are currently used.

Did you find the stone wall online?

Matt

4 hours ago, mattcrackers said:

Very nice, been saying that I need to finish my track for a while now, only 9 - 10 years, lol.

Love the bridge/viaduct with the printed brickwork, looks great.

Really need to do something similar for my track, instead of the foam blocks that are currently used.

Did you find the stone wall online?

Matt

The stone wall was just some free texture images I got from an image site on the web.  Signed up to it & was then allowed quite a few free downloads.  These were just laser printed & glued onto MDF sheet for the wall.  The bricks for the Viaduct were actual textured sheets ordered online from an arty website.  Came from Greece !!  They look pretty good close up.

• Like 1